Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 25, 2010

duke is hard

I don't know how it is anywhere else, but at Duke, you feel like you're part of something awesome. Everyone there is something. Out of the people I usually hang out with, there's a super fencer, super soccer player, super lacrosse player, math national champ, and a super well rounded badass who looks like a terrorist. Future NBA stars like Kyrie Irving and Kyle Singler are just chilling everywhere. Even a pro Starcraft player is here apparently. It almost makes me feel inadequate. At least I have my superior intellect to separate me from them right?

Not so much. I never really had to work in school before. My 4.5ish GPA in high school was achieved with minimal effort. But at Duke, shit is hard. On top of that, everyone else is smart, and you're grade depends on how well you do compared to everyone else. I was definitely not prepared for it. I fell behind in multivariable calculus, then organic chemistry. a couple of weeks later I was behind in engineering and writing too. It got to the point where I couldn't understand what was going on in lecture and I spent all my time catching up.

By the end of the semester, I kind of had things under control. I managed alright during Finals week, but it took multiple red bull fueled all nighters to pull it off. I should be slightly better prepared next semester now that I know how everything works, and I have a slightly easier schedule - French 1, Psych 11, Math 107 and EGR75. Should be ok.

1 comment:

  1. but would you really have it any other way? its about time you had a challenge, in my book.

    ReplyDelete