People see the New Year as kind of a reset button. You get to start over because the calendar starts over right? That's a load of shit. I am the same person I was yesterday, as is everyone else. A bunch of fireworks can't really change that. Sure I'll have my New Year's resolutions to go to the gym, do better in school, and eat healthier, but how long is that really going to last?
I suppose what New Year's really gives people is an opportunity to try to be better than they are. During the year, we tell ourselves that we are too busy doing something, catching up on something. Right now, we're not (except for those few unfortunate people who have finals after break). No work to think about. Don't really have an excuse not to try right? So I guess I head into the new year with only one real resolution - keep moving.
I've spent way too much of 2010 doing nothing. Wasting entire days. All that time, I could have been doing something. It doesn't even matter what that something is, as long as it's not sitting around wasting time.
I always complain about the lack of time I have. Not enough time to work out. Not enough time to study. Not enough time to be better. But there's always enough time to party isn't there? I'm not saying that I should cut down on the partying, because, lets face it, that's college. What I am trying to say is that there is enough time to do everything. But that key to that is to keep moving. Never stop.
Because the second you stop, you're stuck. Sometimes we get stuck on people, an obsession that only in your craziest dreams, will work out. Sometimes it's an idea, like trying to make a blog that'll get enough viewers to pay my way through college. Or becoming a professional starcraft player. Sometimes, it's a challenge, like beating QWOP or Chris Nam's high score in Robot Unicorn Attack (208,004). And sometimes you get yourself stuck, not knowing or wanting something to do.
I know this doesn't really make sense but in 2011, get stuck on something that will move you forward. Get stuck on a class, or a club, or working out, or eating healthy. Because, as long as you keep moving forward (I sound like a toyota commercial), you can't really feel bad about yourself.
Anyways, Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment